2011 Resolutions

I know some people have a thing against new year’s resolutions because we’re setting ourselves up for failure and we should focus on improving ourselves in small steps every day, yadda yadda yadda, bull crap. I like New Year’s Resolutions. I may not complete them all, but at least it motivates me. Stop being a hater.

1) Use Mint to track finances

I’ve heard the wonders of Mint. My goal is to start using the program to track all of our finances. I would love to see how much we spent on everything at the end of the year. And with all those cool graphs and colors? It’s like an Erika dream come true!

2) Lose weight, get fit, eat healthier, run a half marathon

I’m at the heaviest I’ve ever been. I’ve gained almost 20 pounds since I got married in April (more on this in a future post). I kept saying I was going to wait until Jan. 1 to get on the diet, but I realized I really needed to get my rear in gear once I stepped on the scale. So I went on a New Year’s resolution test-drive a week early, and have seen awesome results. Let’s hope it keeps working that way…self control, self control, self control.

Running a half marathon? Will depend if I can squeeze in runs before work at 7:30 a.m.

3) Save $8,000 $10,000 (updated Jan. 28) by August 1st

With our credit card payments gone, Eric and I have decided to put those usual $500 (or more) monthly payments toward our already $500 monthly savings…for a combined $1000 a month. I’ve already set it up so that it’s automatically deducted from my paycheck and goes straight into our savings account. Out of sight, out of mind. Hopefully, we’ll have an $8,000 fund set up by the time Eric takes a leave from work in mid-August to enter the firefighter academy for four months.

4) Go on a honeymoon, save $2,000 (updated Jan. 28)

With the exception of Kauai (in which we went with Eric’s parents), we haven’t really been on a full-fledged honeymoon just the two of us. We have our sights set on Costa Rica this summer, right before he goes into the academy. Traveling seems to be one of those things that just always gets pushed aside because it is such an extravagant expense and at the end of it, you don’t have anything to show for it…like a new car.

But we’re young! We don’t have kids and I want to travel as much as possible before it becomes too difficult to do so. I’m thinking somewhere between $2,000 to $2,500 for a budget. We’ll see…

5) Try at least 2 new recipes a month

Eric and I are set on eating healthier. I’d love to try out some new recipes so we don’t settle into the chicken and veggies routine. (I swear that’s all I cooked when I was single). My MIL (mother in law) gave me a cookbook as one of my Christmas presents this year…I think that’s a hint? I also love this blog for awesome low cal meals.

6) Wash face more regularly

I used to be such a stickler about washing my face at night and using expensive “reduce wrinkles” creams. Since we’ve moved into the new place, the lack of vanity space has made it less appealing to take those extra 10 minutes to take care of my face. But I’m determined to get back in the habit…

7) Read 6 books this year (updated Jan. 28)

I miss reading. I use to read a ton. I need to get back into it.

okay, that’s it! What do you think of my resolutions? What are some that you’re working on? Anybody want to link to their New Year’s Resolutions posts?

facebook 2011 Resolutionstwitter 2011 Resolutionspinterest 2011 Resolutionsgoogle 2011 Resolutionslinkedin 2011 Resolutionsemail 2011 Resolutions

16 thoughts on “2011 Resolutions

1. February 12, 2014 at 10:57 am

Visitors who land on your site want and need information they can use and not something that has been sitting there stagnant and outdated
    for an extended period of time. Equally helpful is
    Bleezer’s Spell Check facility, Automatic Ping-ing services that supports Technorati, Weblogs.

2. March 10, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Mint is the best! It takes forevvvvvvver to set up properly, but works so well once you’ve put the time in! Of course, being type A, I also have an Excel spreadsheet and a paper budget to cross off, but the best part about Mint.com is being able to log in from my cell and seeing all of our accounts and balances updated within minutes. And of course (a recent thing for me) is the joy of seeing the “cash” accounts higher than the “credit accounts” (strictly savings and checking vs. credit cards, not other debts, but still awesome) is amazing!

3. January 7, 2011 at 11:40 am

I have some friends who just started using Mint and seem to like it thus far… but when they showed me the tutorial it sounded like a headache to be honest. My spreadsheet may be all manual and might not send me reminders, but it’s working… and if it aint broke, don’t fix it!

Good for you for making those financial savings goals- sounds like things will be easy peasy while Eric is in the Acedemy.

I have never been that good about a before-bed routine. I wash my face in the shower and that’s it… I don’t brush my teeth before bed either, and I know I should (though I have alright teeth anyway). I think it’s probably because I don’t typically wear makeup…. when I do though I never take it off before bed so I just bought some cleansing clothes to do that. I think I hate washing my face except in the shower because I can’t possibly do it without drenching the entire bathroom and myself with water (and I hate that!) I’ve gotta be better about this- my skin will thank me for it when I’m older I’m sure.
    IntrigueMe (Quarter For Her Thoughts) recently posted..The Worst Dating Story Contest- Submission 12

4. January 7, 2011 at 9:17 am

I have been using mint for a while, but as brandt said, it is definitely finicky! Let us know how it goes!
    Tyler recently posted..Movember Update 4

5. January 5, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I just started trying out Loreal Youth Code day/night cream. It smells nice and feels great putting it on, but I don’t know if its actually doing anything yet, haha. I thought my skin would feel a little more, eh, hydrated maybe? I’ll probably use it up and move on to something else.
    ariel recently posted..Just a Qucik Update…

6. January 5, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Nice resolutions! I’m curious what reduce wrinkle creams you’ve used/liked. Obviously us being in our 20′s we’re not going to see TOO many yet, but that was one of my goals, to start tackling it before it becomes a problem. Any recommendations?
    ariel recently posted..Just a Qucik Update…

7. January 4, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Very nice goals! And New Year’s Resolutions are worth it as long as you reflect back on them and make a plan, not just an ideal. A lot of people don’t but, of course, you’re way ahead of the game! Good luck with all of your goals this year!

8. maggie
    January 4, 2011 at 5:33 pm

what is mint? can you do a longer post about it?? i just found your blog and you remind me so much of my husband and i. He is in the process of becoming a firefighter too! do you know of any other blogs out there about couples who are budgeting? thanks!

9. January 4, 2011 at 4:38 pm

These are awesome goals! And um, why don’t we run a half marathon together?! Seriously, since I’ll be in the area and all…we could totally do one later this year ;-)

10. January 4, 2011 at 12:17 pm

cookinglight.com has a ton of healthy recipes! that’s where I search for new ones.

11. January 4, 2011 at 9:36 am

I vote to uncross the Half Marathon and for you to mark 5/2 on your calendar with a big red pen. PCRF Half in Irvine! You know you want to… ;)

Oh and about the face washing thing… my 13 y/o boy acne votes I put that on my list as well.
    Sarah Soon-To-Be recently posted..My Friends Should Be Travel Agents

12. Eric
    January 4, 2011 at 8:26 am

ewww… I thought you washed your face regularly.

13. January 4, 2011 at 7:31 am

Good luck on everything my dear!!! We are hoping to have $7000 saved up by August… we’ve got a few more thousand to go… I hope you reach your goal! That nest egg will make you feel a lot more secure when your hubby goes into the Fire Academy. And I’m HORRIBLE about washing my face at night! I think I need to add that one to my list of 2011 goals!!! :-)

14. January 4, 2011 at 6:06 am

Mint!!! YAY!!! Huge thumbs up for Mint! Sometimes it can be finicky, and you have to tweak it to meet your tastes, but the best thing about Mint is that it’s the best tracker for ALL your accounts in one place.

And doesn’t it feel nice to start 2011 debt free? Taking that money and throwing it towards savings is gonna be OH SO NICE!