Updated July 2013
Hi! Our names are Eric and Erika. (yup, those are our real names!) and we live in southern California with our nine-year-old Wheaten Terrier, Bentley.
This is our newlywed blog on frugal living and living a BIG life on a small budget.
What We Do
I work in Public Affairs for a utility company and Eric currently works for a fire department as an Ambulance Operator. Since August 2010, Eric has been working to get hired as a full-time firefighter. In southern California, these are highly coveted positions. When this happens, his income would most likely double, so we’re really looking forward to him getting hired! Hopefully by the end of this year.
Because we got married after just three months of dating, we didn’t take into account our financial situation until after we were married (not recommended!). This is the debt we had when we got married:
- $26,500 in student loans
- $13,500 in car loans
- $5,500 in credit card debt
For a total of $45,500 in debt. We were some broke-ass newlyweds.
We vowed that we would do everything to get ourselves out of debt. We have managed to pay off debt despite these hurdles:
- living on my salary while Eric attended the fire academy full-time for four months
- living again on my salary when Eric suffered a soccer injury and couldn’t work ((which resulted in us realizing the need for great health insurance)
- Having only a part-time job for several months
In order to work on paying down debt, we:
- lived in a shack for 17 months to reduce expenses
- postponed our honeymoon for 2.5 years
- work side jobs to make extra money, which I affectionately call the side hustle (As of June 2013, I’ve made $12,000+ in side hustle income)
Our motto is work hard, player harder.
While we definitely work hard to pay off debt, we also like to live life and enjoy the few years we have together before we start popping out the babies! We pay for extra stuff and wants, like traveling and Iphones, by utilizing our side hustle income, money that we make in addition to our regular incomes.
We also upgraded our love shack and now rent a two bedroom townhome. Our quality of life has improved so much and we couldn’t be happier.
We love meeting new people, so if you live close by or are ever in the area, let us know! Feel free to drop us a line at newlywedsonabudget (at) gmail (dot) com