On living on one income and half marathon training

On living on one income

Well, it looks like it’s going to be 5 weeks with Eric out of work. We hope his first day back will be May 2.

My initial reactions are to FREAK out. But there are a few things keeping me from freaking out: We were able to save $1200 from our last two paychecks combined to help cover our expenses in May.

• May will be a three paycheck month for me (well I get the third on June 1st, but that will go toward paying June’s rent–so it meansΒ  that I won’t have to use a May paycheck to pay June’s rent)
  • Overtime. April and May is pretty much the only time I get overtime from my company, but this translates into about an extra few hundred for each of my next 3 or so paychecks.
  • We got our tax refund ($2300– completely unexpected!) and put it all toward savings since we had to wipe out our savings account in February to pay for the deposit and first month’s rent for our new home.

Also–can I just say how WONDERFUL it is to have a house husband? That’s what Eric and I have been calling his new job title: House Husband. The bed is made every morning, the house is cleaned up, the dishes are put away.

Granted, the first two weeks, all he could do was call me from bed and tell me how much pain he was in, but now that he can at least walk and get around (he’s still not allowed to do any heavy lifting), I have been enacting my revenge asking him politely to do his fair share of what it takes to run a household. He’s been great! He’s also been studying for a fire test coming up so it’s been good time spent.

This is what I feel like every time I run…

Half Marathon training was going great. And then I got injured. Seriously?!

I was all cocky and proud of myself for my training and not getting injured and I was making fun of people who get injured and thinking in my head “haha, you just don’t know how to run right!” and now here I am with hip flexor pain that refuses to go away.

I took a week off, and went for a short 3 mile run yesterday (at what point did 3 miles become my short run?). Pain is still there but not as bad as last week. I’m gonna run again tomorrow, and try to crank out 8 or 9 miles Saturday. I’ll be listening to my body and hoping there is no pain!!

Nothing is keeping me from 13.1 baby…

20 thoughts on “On living on one income and half marathon training

1. April 23, 2012 at 11:20 am

Way to go! Keep up the good work and motivation. That’s awesome.

2. April 21, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Thanks for the post and information! I think education is important for us so we must prepare the best education for our generation by sharing such great information with each other!
    vintage clothing websites

3. April 20, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I would love to be a househusband for a few months. Off course with good health. Hope he gets better soon.

4. April 20, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Love the picture, haha. I’m also training for the half marathon as well. I registered a few years ago, but bailed out! =(

5. April 20, 2012 at 5:48 am

Who bought tickets to the gun show?

6. April 20, 2012 at 3:40 am

I am a bit of a house husband because my work is all over the place. I love it. Eric for President. Ok that was a bit over the top but I like… By the way it’s nice to see you getting in good shape. Check out http://teamlipstick.com/. My good friend Laura Cosik heads up this amazing group of ladies who do tris… Thought you might like it.

7. April 19, 2012 at 4:04 pm

You are a beast!!!! Love that fierceness πŸ™‚

My husband has always wanted to be a “house husband.” It’s never happened, but I think he continues to dream nonetheless.

8. April 19, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Rawr! Good for you, and hope you both recover swiftly!

9. Jenniemarie @ Another Housewife
    April 19, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Just found your blog via Yakezie. Injuries stink but please be cautious and listen to your body. I am freshly recovered from a stress fracture in my shin bone. I was sidelined 12 miles into training for my second marathon. I’m on a walk/run program right now but hope to be back to running soon. I’m looking forward to reading more and hearing about your progress and race!

10. April 19, 2012 at 7:37 am

Ahhh…I had my first real running injury in years during Monday’s Boston Marathon–take care of yourself and don’t push it too hard!!! Good luck!

11. April 19, 2012 at 7:22 am

Running injuries suck! My first ever 5k was postponed due to pain on my inner left thigh, and every once in awhile after a hard session it’ll show up again. I’m deep into my 10k training now and praying it stays away. You are doing awesome training for a half marathon, that’s my goal for next year!

12. April 19, 2012 at 6:17 am

Sounds like you guys have a good money plan for the next month! Hope he gets better soon.

13. April 18, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Glad to hear that Eric is doing better and liking his “House Husband” duties! πŸ˜‰

And YOU GO GIRL with that training! Seriously! I know you’ll be up and running 8 miles in no time.

14. April 18, 2012 at 4:55 pm

There’s an article from Runner’s World that talks about only running 3 days a week but doing sprint intervals and weight training on other days. They say you do just as well on the half since you’ll have more core/leg strength that will help endure the distance…I can’t remember the details but it’s from the February or March magazine (I don’t have a subscription, Dave and I walk to the local grocery store and sometimes mooch in the magazine aisle like old people)…maybe you could rest up a little more so you’re 100% and then try training like that for a bit to help you catch up.

• kim
      April 19, 2012 at 11:17 am

I do a version of this – it works and one incurs less injuries. Instead of weight training I do calisthenics and resistance, but that’s because I don’t want bulk.

And way to work out the finances! I would’ve spent the entire month freaking out. I’ve heard that’s a trait of PFers πŸ˜‰

15. April 18, 2012 at 3:33 pm

RAWR!

You go girl, keep up the good work! Injuries definitely slow the training down and I was the same– until I injured my shin! πŸ™ I hope you feel better soon! I kinda think it’s just bound to happen, even mildly, when you put your body through that rigor. Try adding some flax seed to your diet? That might help.

Hooray for small blessings and your hubby being able to recover!