So as part of our whole quest to “refresh our marriage,” Eric and I have been trying out new adventures. We’ve been wine tasting, we’re planning a weekend getaway, and we’ve used almost every gift card we have to get ourselves out.of.the.house and out of our no-longer-newlyweds-but-still-too-soon-to-be-in-a-rut phase.

SO this past weekend, we decided to make macarons. You know, those french cookies that everyone thinks are like super hard to make and that you have to be an experienced chef to cook? Yeah, those.

Granted, this was an in-house activity, but we’re also trying to get ourselves away from the television. Along with getting out more, we’re trying to cook together more as well and try out new recipes.

We started out with the basics:

macarons 001 Making macarons sucks, plus theyre super fattening, Id rather have a big batch of frozen yogurt than one measly 250 calorie cookie. I blame it on the French.

The glass of wine is totally complimentary. Because I don’t know about you, but I totally need wine when I’m cooking.

Since we’re super competitive, Eric and I decided we would each make our own batch of cookies. Don’t all couples compete in the kitchen?

Look at how happy he looks.

macarons 004 Making macarons sucks, plus theyre super fattening, Id rather have a big batch of frozen yogurt than one measly 250 calorie cookie. I blame it on the French.

macarons 0052 Making macarons sucks, plus theyre super fattening, Id rather have a big batch of frozen yogurt than one measly 250 calorie cookie. I blame it on the French.

I, on the other hand, not so happy…

macarons 0191 Making macarons sucks, plus theyre super fattening, Id rather have a big batch of frozen yogurt than one measly 250 calorie cookie. I blame it on the French.

I was pissed that my macarons weren’t coming out in perfect circles.

They looked halfway decent when they were cooking in the oven…

macarons 029 Making macarons sucks, plus theyre super fattening, Id rather have a big batch of frozen yogurt than one measly 250 calorie cookie. I blame it on the French.

The ones on the left came out all lumpy, and were baked on the bottom of the oven.

The ones on the right were baked at the top of the oven and actually turned out halfway decent.

Our biggest mistake making macarons?

Assuming wax paper was the same as parchment paper. Those darn cookies would not come off. So I had to scrape my teeth against the wax paper to get a bite of a cookie.

At one point, I just started eating the cookie with the wax paper attached. Is that bad?

macarons 022 Making macarons sucks, plus theyre super fattening, Id rather have a big batch of frozen yogurt than one measly 250 calorie cookie. I blame it on the French.

I ate the dough too. I was majorly bummed that our cookies didn’t turn out the way we wanted. But once I realized how much sugar is in them (seriously, it’s just almonds and sugar sugar sugar). And when I read that the average cookie has about 200 to 300 calories for ONE tiny ass cookie, I really decided they weren’t worth it.

Give me some ice cream any day.

I ended up consoling myself with the pup.

macarons 0313 Making macarons sucks, plus theyre super fattening, Id rather have a big batch of frozen yogurt than one measly 250 calorie cookie. I blame it on the French.

Have you ever tried to make macarons?

facebook Making macarons sucks, plus theyre super fattening, Id rather have a big batch of frozen yogurt than one measly 250 calorie cookie. I blame it on the French. twitter Making macarons sucks, plus theyre super fattening, Id rather have a big batch of frozen yogurt than one measly 250 calorie cookie. I blame it on the French. pinterest Making macarons sucks, plus theyre super fattening, Id rather have a big batch of frozen yogurt than one measly 250 calorie cookie. I blame it on the French. google Making macarons sucks, plus theyre super fattening, Id rather have a big batch of frozen yogurt than one measly 250 calorie cookie. I blame it on the French. linkedin Making macarons sucks, plus theyre super fattening, Id rather have a big batch of frozen yogurt than one measly 250 calorie cookie. I blame it on the French. email Making macarons sucks, plus theyre super fattening, Id rather have a big batch of frozen yogurt than one measly 250 calorie cookie. I blame it on the French.

18 thoughts on “Making macarons sucks, plus they’re super fattening, I’d rather have a big batch of frozen yogurt than one measly 250-calorie cookie. I blame it on the French.

1. December 14, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I wanted to thank you for this wonderful read!! I absolutely enjoying each and every small bit of it I’ve you bookmarked to have a look at new stuff you post

2. July 18, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Yeah, I can’t cook. My mom has tried to teach me, but I don’t enjoy it at all so I end up just walking away.

When I do cook though, it annoys me to find out that I no longer want to eat because I know what is in it. I help at my school’s little store during sports, and you are required to make popcorn in their little machine. They taught me how to make it. 2 cups popcorn, 4 cups butter.

I never ate that popcorn again.

3. July 17, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I’ve never made macaroons and now I know I never will. Haha!

But that did look like fun. Also you two are cute :)

4. July 16, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I read a recipe for them once and that’s as far as I got. Sounded too hard!

5. July 16, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Oh Christ. I now know where I’ve been going wrong. I had no idea wax and parchment paper were different!! I wonder which one I’ve been using?

6. July 16, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I am French so I almost feel like I need to *love* macarons like my other French peers but I’ve never really cared for them! and you informing me of how many calories are in them doesn’t help either!

7. July 16, 2012 at 3:30 pm

No thanks, I’ll learn from your experience and stick to ice cream. A for effort?!

8. Maria B
    July 16, 2012 at 2:43 pm

P.S go buy a sheet of Silicon or pick them up at the dollar store. I use all silicon mats for my macarons (even though a Silpat is recommended) and it works great. Plus you don’t have to fight to get them to come off and no spray needed either!

9. Maria B
    July 16, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Macarons can be hard to begin with but if you do your homework you can do it. You really should Google/watch YouTube videos. You need to not forget a step called Macaronage. t This isn’t the site I used my first time, but it gives you many great resources. And remember the more you mix, the more you’ll lose the airiness in the macarons.

Good luck!! When I find my link, Ill link it. It was a pdf of all things Macarons. Because of the pdf I was able to make them perfect in the first go. So if I can, you can!

10. July 16, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I never have. You’d be hard pressed to get me to even make some easy chocolate chip cookies. My husband on the other hand is the baker and I’d suggest he try it except for the 200-300 calorie per cookie problem. I DO NOT need that in my house!!!

11. July 16, 2012 at 12:43 pm

FUN! I’ve made that mistake before, and poured 300 degree sugar onto wax paper. Never. again.

12. kim
    July 16, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I so would’ve used waxed paper, too! Le cheap sometimes really is cheap for a reason!

13. July 16, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Well I’ve thought about it but now I think I’ll just make cookies instead haha

14. July 16, 2012 at 9:04 am

What a fun way to spend time together! I’m not much of a baker. (Rice Krispie’s treats are about my max level of difficulty in the kitchen.) When my husband is home, I love to sit and talk to him while I watch him cook. That’s much more my speed!*

15. July 16, 2012 at 8:45 am

Oh man! This sounds like a disappointing endeavor. And 250 calories for one cookie?! I agree, I’ll take the fro yo.

16. Lea
    July 16, 2012 at 7:50 am

I had the same problem last Christmas with wax paper! It was actually with macaroons too! Next year I’m going for the parchment paper.

17. July 16, 2012 at 5:28 am

I’ve never made macarons before and I probably never will after hearing your story! That’s hilarious you just ate the wax paper, I would have done the same. Dave has no concept of the science of baking. He just goes down the list and adds ingredients, skips them if he can’t find them, and THEN reads the directions. Hot mess.

18. July 16, 2012 at 5:12 am

Looks hard! I’m a horrible dessert maker, so I don’t think I could’ve done this.