My 1-year wedding anniversary is less than a month away, and I have no idea where the time went.
My first year of marriage was both challenging and great. My husband and I took the time out to get to know one another even better and we took on many challenges together.
My Married Life Reality
I realized the importance of budgeting for dates and prioritizing spending time together. We literally got married last May, then went on our honeymoon and came home to start knocking out our credit card debt right after.
We focused on living on one income for the first three months of marriage so we could pay off the credit card debt. While we stayed focused and met our goal, we neglected our personal relationship and spending time together which is something I don’t want to do again.
They say marriage is no picnic and I totally agree with that. Marriage requires a ton of communication and there have been times where my husband and I just didn’t communicate as well as we could have. We’re still working on it and learning, but we tried setting relationship goals to focus on specific things each of us can do to improve our relationship.
When we did premarital counseling, we learned that each of us come from different families and backgrounds so we are bound to communicate differently. I find that my husband needs more direction and clarity from me, whereas I tend to be a little vague and expect him to know what I’m talking about all the time.
All in all, the first year of marriage has been a great learning experience for us and our relationship and love for one another have definitely grown. I thought it would be fun to share 10 of my favorite marriage quotes that pretty much sum up the idea of marriage and the reality of married life.
I personally love quotes and memes as a fun way to express myself to my partner and I’m sure many other couples feel the same so, enjoy!
1. “The secret to marriage is finding the right person. You know they’re right and you love to be with them all the time.” – Julia Child
2. “In a happy marriage, it is the wife who provides the climate, the husband the landscape.” – Gerald Brenan
3. “Marriage is not a noun, it’s a verb. It it’s something you get. It’s something you do. It’s the way you love your partner every day.” – Barbara De Angelis
4. “Enjoy every single moment. The good, the bad, the beautiful, the ugly, the inspiring, the not-so-glamorous moments. And thank God through it all.” – Meghan Matt
5. “Placing blame in marriage is like saying, ‘your side of the boat is sinking.” – Hank Smith
6. “Once of the nicest things you can say to your partner is ‘if I had to do it over again, I’d choose you. Again.'” – Unknown
7. “A happy marriage is the union of two good forgivers.” – Robert Quillen
8. “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person” – Mignon McLaughlin
9. “If there is such a thing as a good marriage, it is because it resembles friendship rather than love.” – Michel de Montaigne
10. “Marriage isn’t about a beautiful wedding Fancy home, cute kids, nice car, and white picket fences. Marriage is hospital stays working long hours, fighting through struggles, setting up life insurance, paying bills, keeping the faith and staying together through it ALL” – Unknown
What are your favorite marriage quotes?
Join our newsletter
Get the latest content straight to your inbox.