The GREAT Garage Sale

We did it!

This weekend, while Eric was held captive by his job for practically three days straight–I had a garage sale with my in-laws! And we made big bucks! Well…big enough to buy some essential (read: pillows, rug) items we needed.

garagesale The GREAT Garage Sale

This is how the Great Garage Sale started. I had to wake up at the ungodly hour of 6 a.m. on a Saturday

By 7 a.m. the signs were up, and we were swamped with customers!

Honestly, I was pretty embarrassed by some of the stuff I was selling, like my old make-up, nail polishes, face wash…etc…

I mean: Who was going to want to buy my junk?

What if they laughed at me and said: “You want a dollar for this piece of crap?!”

I think my fear of being laughed at led me to under-price my items, but at the end of the day I was happy people bought so much stuff!

garagesale2 300x225 The GREAT Garage Sale

My original goal had been to make $50 so I could at least buy my red ruffles pillow for my couch.

Well…the grand finale was…drumroll pleeeeeaaaassseeee….

$79! (plus an extra $20 my mother in law threw in for being such a great daughter in law! and so that I could buy my pillows!)

For a grand total of:

$99

Not bad for a garage sale. And all that was left at the end of the day was a small little box…

garagesale3 300x225 The GREAT Garage Sale

And that old makeup I was so embarrassed of selling? Sold it ALL.

Now that I’ve actually started packing for the big move this week–we start moving tomorrow!–I’ve filled up TWO BOXES already of stuff I want to sell!

Luckily, my parents are doing a neighborhood-wide garage sale in two weeks!

I may just become a permanent sales girl…

and wait till you see what I bought with my earnings!

facebook The GREAT Garage Sale twitter The GREAT Garage Sale pinterest The GREAT Garage Sale google The GREAT Garage Sale linkedin The GREAT Garage Sale email The GREAT Garage Sale

12 thoughts on “The GREAT Garage Sale

1. May 16, 2012 at 12:13 am

composed by sbsbsb0416 I intended to send you a bit of remark to say thanks again with your magnificent opinions you’ve discussed above. It’s certainly unbelievably open-handed of people like you giving easily what exactly some people would have distributed as an electronic book to make some cash on their own, mostly seeing that you might have done it in case you desired. Those tricks likewise served to be a easy way to understand that many people have a similar keenness really like mine to figure out great deal more pertaining to this issue. I am sure there are many more enjoyable occasions ahead for those who take a look at your blog post.

2. October 22, 2010 at 12:44 am

Hello there, i have just bookmarked this particular piece of writing on my facebook account and acquired a lot of optimistic replies! I feel you are actually doing a wonderful job with your blog. I have got one question though, this is a blogengine weblog correct?

3. October 12, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Happy that you sold so much stuff and made enough to buy a few new things for your place! Those are the signs of a successful garage sale! xoxo
    City Girl recently posted..Intimate Terms

4. September 30, 2010 at 4:56 am

Isn’t it amazing what some people will buy? And used make up of all things? Ewww..no offense:) Go you on hauling in some cash!

5. September 29, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Yay! I’ve never had a garage sale before, but I love going to them. Right now I don’t have much I can sell…maybe some old books from college. If I did ever have a garage sale, I’d probably have many of the same fears you do. I’m glad you were able to make enough to get the stuff you need.

6. September 28, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Hi there!

I don’t know if you got my email this morning, but I just wanted to let you know that you were the winner of this week’s share-the-wealth giveaway on my blog! Please contact me as soon as possible to claim your fabulous box of goodies.

Congratulations!

Ruth

living well, spending less

7. September 28, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Yay for couch pillows! I think it’s really cool that instead of splurging, you found a way to get the money for them. (:

8. September 28, 2010 at 11:45 am

Hahaha That is too funny… we’ve been planning on having a garage sale for months now. Finally this past weekend we got off our lazy butts and reorganized most of the garage and seperated all of our yard sale stuff. We made some of the same comments… hunny kept saying how ebarrassed we are going to be selling it!! I kept telling him, who cares they have garage sales on almost every corner by our house so what does it matter!! We’ll see how it goes!!

9. September 28, 2010 at 8:25 am

That’s awesome! I always just end up donating my stuff… the last time I moved, my former roommates took 3-4 very large bags of shoes and clothing… (That way they could rummage through my stuff first before the general population.) I did sell my old couch on craigslist. It was kinda awesome to see how quickly that thing went!

Again, awesome job and good luck on the future one!
    Erini recently posted..my life- my style

10. September 28, 2010 at 7:18 am

WAY TO GO! Seriously, that’s awesome!

I’ve never had a garage sale, but I was super tempted a few weeks ago when my townhome complex was having a neighborhood sale. I decided against it because they wanted money from me to chip in on an ad… and all I really had to sell was books and computer monitors, so I couldn’t justify paying for an ad. I’m working on selling my books on Half.com right now, so we’ll see how that works out!
    Ashley recently posted..Money Doesn’t Grow on Trees