• doggie 2

Why I’m Looking Forward to Turning 30

beach2 300x225 Why Im Looking Forward to Turning 30I turn 30 this month.

And whenever I tell people, I get a sympathetic look, like they’re trying to tell me that it will all be okay, because apparently life goes downhill after 30?

I guess I missed the memo, because I’m actually looking forward to it.

Yes, seriously.

I had a blast in my 20s. Like so much.

• I studied abroad in Italy
  • Paid my own trip to Australia
  • Broke up with my longterm, emotionally abusive boyfriend whom I swore I was going to marry
  • Went on to date other guys
  • Spent an entire year going out with my girlfriends every single weekend
  • Tripled my salary since graduating college
  • Started a blog, which led me to meeting my husband
  • Got married
  • Got a dog
  • Honeymooned in Costa Rica
  • Got promoted
  • Paid off our debt

My 20s have been so very good to me.

But I am a completely different person at 29 than I was at 20. And I’m ready to start this next phase of my life.

Look how amazing my 20s were, and that was when I was broke and in debt! Imagine what my 30s will hold now that I’m making more money, have no debt, and have my partner in crime by my side?

I am looking forward to starting a family, to building a home together, to getting my master’s in Public Administration, and to continue to grow in both my professional and personal life.

Why wouldn’t I look forward to my 30s?

I hope I never become one of those people that dreads their birthdays or hates growing older.

Don’t get me wrong: The signs that I am getting older are definitely there.

Just last month, I spotted my first gray hair. And now that I know I get gray hairs, I feel like I find them ALL.THE.TIME.

I also can’t lose weight as easily. In my early 20′s, I just had to skip carbs at dinner, and I would lose 5 pounds. Apparently these days, my body likes a little chub.

I will curse these signs of my aging. But it doesn’t mean that I can’t also be thankful for what I’ve accomplished and been blessed with so far, and look forward to what has yet to come.

facebook Why Im Looking Forward to Turning 30twitter Why Im Looking Forward to Turning 30pinterest Why Im Looking Forward to Turning 30google Why Im Looking Forward to Turning 30linkedin Why Im Looking Forward to Turning 30email Why Im Looking Forward to Turning 30

23 thoughts on “Why I’m Looking Forward to Turning 30

1. April 23, 2014 at 7:53 pm

I’m turning 29 this coming next month! It’s really different when you are in your 20′s and 30′s, physically and emotionally. I’m trying to lose some weight, do jogging every morning and trying to cut some carbs. I usually called it SOA “Sign of Aging”, when you can’t control your figure anymore. :)

2. Ris
    April 16, 2014 at 11:53 am

I’m right there with you! (my birthday is May 1). In some ways, I’m really ready to leave my 20s behind. Hooray for 30 and fabulous!

3. April 16, 2014 at 11:13 am

I’m looking forward to turning 30, too! People don’t get it. I have enjoyed my 20s a ton but my 30s will bring lots of new adventures.

4. April 16, 2014 at 4:09 am

LOL, as someone who’s soon to turn 47, I can tell you that the metabolism will indeed continue to slow down, unless you seriously work on it, but the 30′s and the 40′s are awesome. It only gets better, so enjoy! :-)

5. April 15, 2014 at 9:59 am

I’m having some great 20s. Growing up is not so scary anymore. I love myself more and more everyday.

6. April 15, 2014 at 7:22 am

I felt the same way when I turned 30! I was thrilled. I knew I rocked my 20′s and was ready to close that book and move on! There is nothing wrong with that! And happy early birthday.

7. April 14, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Great list and I 100% agree with you on the not as easy to lose weight thing! It sucks!

I am turning 29 this year so I’m a year behind you. Wow. I have yet to triple my salary though. That’s intense!

8. April 14, 2014 at 4:36 pm

I’ve enjoyed most things about my 30s. Mostly the stuff I’m learning about myself.

9. April 14, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Such a great attitude!! I agree that 30′s is probably going to go down as the best decade of my life. My 20′s were really hard and I love being in 30′s so much more. Growing older is inevitable and preferable when you consider the alternative.

10. April 14, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Congrats on all of your accomplishments in your 20′s. I wish you continued success in your 30′s!

11. April 14, 2014 at 11:58 am

The 30′s are awesome! It’s like your 20′s but you’re more secure and sure of who you are. The 40′s?…mm not so much. :)

12. April 14, 2014 at 9:53 am

Hey, I’m 30 today! And I love my silver streak. Just got back from a road trip during which we stopped in my college town and visited some of the old haunts. I am also a very very different person than I was at 20. I am glad to have grown. Hope your 30th year will be excellent.

13. Lindsay
    April 14, 2014 at 9:15 am

I turned 30 last year. I finally feel like an adult and confident in my own skin. You couldn’t pay me to go back to my early 20s. Happy (early) birthday!

14. April 14, 2014 at 8:53 am

So awesome! I’m turning 29 this Friday! :)

15. April 14, 2014 at 8:46 am

I think I went about my 30th birthday all wrong now. I should look back with pride over all I’ve accomplished in my 20s. Can I steal your idea!?

PS, Happy Birthday!

16. April 14, 2014 at 8:31 am

I think that’s wonderful you’re looking forward to it. Everyone should be looking forward a few more years or decades of life! And if you actually pack life into life, it gets a lot more fun. Great list for your 20′s! I don’t have a list of any magnitude of my achievents, or anything remarkable and I consider age pretty much just another number to keep track, but I AM looking forward to what the future has in store for me, whether it will take a few years or span over a few more decades.

17. April 14, 2014 at 8:15 am

Happy almost birthday! I am also turning 30 in a couple months and my how things have changed since 20! I agree with you, my 20s were about learning a lot about myself, getting through school, starting my career, and growing up from a teenager into a woman. I also got married, finished undergrad and grad school, moved half-way across the country and away from my home town, traveled with friends, learned to love sushi, and generally learned to be ok with myself. Thank god for that! Come on 30! I too have resolved not to begrude getting older. I want to celebrate each year even when i’m in my 70s, and yes, I have been finding grey hairs for the last two years. Stress will do that to you :)

18. April 14, 2014 at 7:54 am

You’ve had your ups and down in your 20′s, but you still did great. I admire how you lift up yourself from those challenges in your life. You’re turning 30 and I think you will be doing much better in the next years. Best of luck!

19. April 14, 2014 at 7:19 am

Sounds like you really enjoyed your time during your 20s. Good luck on your 30s! :)

20. April 14, 2014 at 6:47 am

Good for you for embracing 30! It’s a nice perspective to hear someone excited about a new decade. And look at all the great things 30+ has in store for you. Happy early birthday!

While I totally understand that some of the side effects of aging are no fun (wrinkles!), getting older is a privilege. I decided long ago that I’d never complain about the fact that I was lucky enough to have a long life. It’s just up to me to make it a good life, ya know?

21. April 14, 2014 at 6:46 am

Let me just say you’ve got the right attitude about it! I LOVED turning 30, and my 30th year was absolutely without a doubt the BEST of my life!! And it’s only gotten better from there! Soak it up, girl. Your 30s are going to give you a lot to look forward to!!

p.s. Happy early birthday!

22. April 14, 2014 at 2:42 am

Honestly, the folks we talk to say their 30s were the best decade of their life! We’re about 1 year in and so far it’s pretty freaking great (I say while in Australia at the moment). =)

Happy early birthday. May the next 10 years blow the previous 10 away!