2014 I’m Ready For You

2014-bullseyeI’ve had lots of goals in years past. But I have only TWO goals for 2014.

1. Save, save, save

With enough money in the bank to pay off our $11,000 in 0% interest debt, pushing the button and switching to “We’re debt free!” is just a matter of logistics.

In 2014, we’re focused on SAVING.

Our income in 2014 is expected to be more than double what we were making in 2011.  Oh yeah, these Newlyweds on a Budget are moving on up to the big leagues…

SO what are we saving for?

A house down payment, a car, and life. We’ve talked about our five-year plan to buy a home. We’ve crossed off a lot on that list but not necessarily in order. We do plan on buying a home within the next several years but we’re not on a strict deadline. The goal right now is just to SAVE so that when we are ready to buy a home, we will have a sizable down payment.

We will also need a new (to us) car either late next year or in 2015. So let’s start saving now so that we don’t have to rack up another car loan, or at least keep it as minimal as possible.

The goal is to save $30,000 next year.

$20,000 in our house down payment fund, and $10,000 in our car fund. It is an audacious goal but I am confident that we’ll be able to pull it off. Especially if I can stop spending my freelance income and actually start saving it again.

2. Have fun.

For the past few years, I’ve been so stressed over our finances that I would freak out over little unexpected expenses.

I don’t want to do that anymore.

I want to be able to make purchases and not worry about how we’re going to pay for it. I want to go out to dinner and not worry about ordering an extra glass of wine.

I want to donate more to charity. I want to go out more often with my husband. I want to go to concerts.

I want lifestyle inflation, people!

I’m not talking “rolling-in-the-dough, driving Bentleys, sipping bottles of Dom Perignon on the weekends” kind of lifestyle inflation.

I’m talking about being two young successful thirty-something DINKs who enjoy nice dinners out and random weekend getaways (oh em gee, I turn 30 in 2014!).

While 2014 may not have any vacations in our future because of Eric’s new job, I at least hope that our everyday lifestyle will be less about worrying over money and more about enjoying the money we earn.

2014, I’ve been waiting for you, and mama is ready!

photo credit

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestGoogle+Share on LinkedInEmail to someone

26 thoughts on “2014 I’m Ready For You

1. December 20, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Awesome goals, Erika! That’s an amazing savings goal and I have no doubt that you can totally kill it in 2014 🙂

Enjoy your lifestyle inflation — you’ve done such a great job!

2. December 20, 2013 at 5:03 am

Good luck with your 2014 plans! Glad to hear you are now debt-free and is now aiming to save, save and save. I still have a few debts to pay off this 2014, but if everything turns out well, I guess we could be debt-free before the middle of next year. Let us all hope for the best this coming year.

3. December 19, 2013 at 5:35 am

2013 was a big year for y’all personally and financially. I hope 2014 is just as good!

I’m finally going to start following some of the things you did to make more moolah. Fingers crossed that it pays off for me, too!

4. December 18, 2013 at 4:26 pm

You hustle hard so I have no doubt you and your husband will be able to save $30,000 in 2014! Good luck!

5. December 18, 2013 at 11:48 am

Have fun is my number one goal!

6. Chantale
    December 17, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Wow! Nice to see other couples muddling thru the same things we are! Congrats and good luck!

7. December 17, 2013 at 10:13 am

That’s a great savings goal amount for you. You’ve done well so far and I’m sure you’ll do great next year as well. Have lots of fun like you said and be happy about turning 30 and enjoy it~

8. December 17, 2013 at 9:34 am

Excellent Goals. You’ll be very happy you saved that money for your down payment on a house. And it’s true after paying off debt for so long you need to have a little fun.

9. December 17, 2013 at 8:22 am

AWESOME goals and I have no doubt you’ll knock it out of the park! And I agree, have FUN this year, you know you can budget like whoa and accomplish your goals 🙂

10. December 16, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Sounds like you have some great goals worh saving for. Good luck in meeting your goal this upcoming year. I’m also hoping to save this year while paying off my student loans… I can’t wait to have them behind me.

11. December 16, 2013 at 9:33 am

Great goals, and it’s somewhat similar to ours so it’s nice to know someone else is out there doing the same thing! I’m loving my 30’s, and I hope you do, as well, filled with saving away and getaways! 🙂

12. December 16, 2013 at 7:17 am

You are definitely going to enjoy having 2 regular paychecks (it makes a world of difference!) and with your side income, those savings goals should totally be doable. Who knows, maybe you’ll have to increase them midway through the year?

13. December 16, 2013 at 7:08 am

I love your goals. That’s a nice chunk of change to be saved. I’m saving for a new (used) car so I’m forgoing some travel with the exception of Iceland and Fincon. Hopefully I can get back to that in 2015. Good luck with your goals!

14. December 16, 2013 at 5:46 am

Those are big goals, and I’m sure you’ll be able to make them. Not sure what my goals are going to be for 2014 yet. I know it’s just around the corner, but I haven’t had time to think about them. Probably will be around getting the new house set up, fix things in the new house (long list), continue saving, and enjoy our life. I’m really hoping I can get promoted in the next year or so, so that will be my goal for 2014, too.

15. December 16, 2013 at 5:13 am

Sounds like you have some big savings goals for 2014! I’m sure you’ll be able to pull it off.

We’re moving in January of next year and my goals are to just get settled and have a normal life again, save as much as possible, and enjoy ourselves.