• cake-topper wedding couple and piggy bank( money troubles concept )

How We Paid Off $45,000 in Debt in 45 Months

I originally wrote this post for GoGirl Finance. I have updated it to reflect our last check payment that we made last week.

marriage debt pin How We Paid Off $45,000 in Debt in 45 MonthsIt wasn’t until about three weeks after our wedding that Eric and I decided to sit down and go over all our finances. This is when we discovered that we had more than $45,000 of combined debt:

• $26,500 in student loans
  • $13,500 in car loans
  • $5,500 in credit card debt

Starting off our marriage on such shaky financial ground put us into a panicked frenzy and is exactly the reason you should talk about finances before you get married.

Oops.

But we did what we had to do: we came up with an action plan. We talked about our financial goals as a couple and created a budget that would help us achieve those goals. We focused not only on paying off our debt, but on saving for vacations, a down payment on a house, and enough wiggle room that we could still enjoy an occasional night out.

Paying off debt even when you’re broke

Some people like to believe that everyone who focuses on paying off their debt quickly must have a substantial income in order to do so. But in our situation that couldn’t be further from the truth.

We had several setbacks that pushed our goal of financial freedom further away, such as:

• Living on one salary when my husband quit his job to attend the fire academy full-time for four months
  • Unexpectedly living again on one salary when Eric suffered a soccer injury  and couldn’t work for a month (we did not have access to disability pay)
  • Reducing our debt progress when my husband could only work part-time for several months

It was during these moments of financial stress that our resolve would weaken and we would question whether paying off our debt at an accelerated pace was worth it.

But we stuck with it, and every month we simply did what we could.

Spend Less, Earn More

In order to pay off our debt and create the life we would want to live, we knew we were first going to have to make some major sacrifices. Typically, in order to pay off debt faster, you need to create a combination of spending less and earning more, so we did just that.

Some of the sacrifices we made to spend less included downsizing from a one-bedroom apartment to a studio  (which I liked to call “the love shack“) and postponing our honeymoon to Costa Rica for more than two years.

Downsizing helped us contribute an extra $500 a month toward our debt. And we used Dave Ramsey’s Snowball method to keep tackling our debt.

Every time we paid off one loan, like my car loan which came with a $434 monthly car payment (eek!), we then started to contribute that monthly amount toward a new loan rather than spend it.

Other sacrifices we made was limiting our dining out to about once a month. We stuck to a strict grocery budget and, at one point, we were on such a tight budget that we restricted each of ourselves to a $20 monthly allowance, which was enough for one happy hour with friends, or a couple of cups of coffee.

To make more money to help pay off our debt faster, I started freelancing on the side (I made $20k+ in side hustle income in 2013), monetized my blog, and held a couple of garage sales—hey, every little bit helps when you’re trying to get out of debt.

To Be Debt Free

Last week, we completely paid off all $45,000 of debt we originally started with. That feels good!

We currently have $8250 left on a 0% interest student loan for Eric that won’t be due until Dec. 2016. While we have the money in the bank to pay it off completely, we’ve decided to continue to earn the interest–at least until we rebuild our savings by meeting our goal of saving $30k in 2014.

45 months ago, when we decided to pay off our debt, we were making 40% less money than we are now. It IS possible to pay off debt even when you’re not making very much. It just requires a lot of hard work and dedication.

I am so happy with how far we’ve come in our debt journey.

facebook How We Paid Off $45,000 in Debt in 45 Monthstwitter How We Paid Off $45,000 in Debt in 45 Monthspinterest How We Paid Off $45,000 in Debt in 45 Monthsgoogle How We Paid Off $45,000 in Debt in 45 Monthslinkedin How We Paid Off $45,000 in Debt in 45 Monthsemail How We Paid Off $45,000 in Debt in 45 Months

30 thoughts on “How We Paid Off $45,000 in Debt in 45 Months

1. January 31, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Wow, congratulations guys! That’s a huge accomplishment. I too know what it’s like to carry a good amount of debt, and it’s an incredible relief to pay it all off. Life is less stressful and much more free when bills don’t have a say in everything you do.

2. January 30, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Congrats, that’s amazing! It just goes to show that no matter how much debt you have, it is possible to pay it off (and in less than 10 years).

3. January 26, 2014 at 8:25 am

Paying that big amount of debt in a short span of time is really a great achievement. Congratulations to you! I’ve been visiting this site for quite some time already and I’ve learned a lot from you not just in dealing with finances, but also on how to deal with your partner.

4. January 25, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Me and Mr. Bacon live in a little studio apartment too! The lease is up at the end of this month and we thought about upsizing, then decided against it. We’ve got all we need while we tackle our debt! Keep up the good work :)

5. January 23, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Amazing! Good for you. My husband is just finishing up school this spring and hopefully he can secure a job pretty quickly. Once that happens I’m hoping we’ll continue living exactly how we’ve been living for awhile and put all his extra income into savings. This way we can save up for a second vehicle, save up for a down payment on a house (we have a townhouse/condo right now) and also just have more money in savings for emergencies. I just have a hard time saving for “nothing”. Right now I’m saving for a trip we’ve booked to Ireland/Scotland and I’m putting money away each paycheque like crazy. But when I don’t have anything big to save for I have a lot more trouble putting that money away and not digging into it!

6. January 22, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Well done!! What a wonderful achievement and well don’t coming through it together, great job!

7. January 21, 2014 at 2:31 pm

So awesome! I started looking into payoff amounts for student loans to see how much was left, and was shocked to find mine down from the original 20k to 14k. I mean, I know I’ve been paying monthly, but it felt like it was stuck at 18k forever!! We start FPU in 3 weeks! yay!

8. January 21, 2014 at 11:01 am

Congrats! It’s awesome that you two were able to work together and accomplish this. It’s notaneasy path to take, but it’s so worth it in the end. Making short term sacrifices for freedom in the long run is one of the biggest factors to me.

9. Jessica
    January 21, 2014 at 8:54 am

Congrats! That was a big number but I am glad your persistence paid off! Can I ask you how you plan on saving 30k? I wanted to set up a goal to save 20k in 2 years for a house down payment but the number sounds so impossible! any ideas/strategies/tips?

• January 21, 2014 at 10:06 am

Well, I’m planning on making at least 10k from my side hustle job, so that will be its own separate pot. Then I am also planning on saving $1500 a month. Basically, with my husband’s new job, we’ll be making more money, but instead of spending it, we’ll be saving it. We live pretty comfortably now, and we were still able to save at least $1000 a month last year. Our increase in savings is basically because we started making more money, but living on the same amount of money. We didn’t increase our spending but rather started contributing to saving. Also– a BIG thing that helps, is putting the money into savings first. A lot of people will wait til the end of the month and then put anything they have left over in their savings, but usually you’ll find there is never anything leftover. So what we do, is I actually have my paycheck split into two different direct deposit accounts–our checking and our savings. And I designate a dollar amount to go into our online savings first, and then the rest in checking. This way I never see the savings amount, and it forces us to live on less.

10. January 21, 2014 at 8:39 am

You guys are awesome! I bet it feels great to have that burden off your back. We save and we don’t have a lot of debt but I often feel that we could be saving more and spending less just because.

• January 21, 2014 at 10:12 am

eh, you could always save more and spend less. you have to figure out what you’re comfortable with. I feel like we’ve finally hit that sweet spot where we can afford to indulge occasionally, we don’t feel like we’re pinching pennies, but we’re also still able to save comfortably.

11. January 21, 2014 at 7:06 am

I’m so so so so so impressed with your side income and your debt payoff. Your 2013 number is my 2014 goal!

12. January 21, 2014 at 7:05 am

Huge congrats on paying off such a large amount, such an inspiration! Just goes to show that with commitment and hard work, so much is possible! FF

13. January 20, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Woo hoo, congrats on $45k gone despite the setbacks – so impressed! The $20/month allowance would have been a challenge for me, so that’s really awesome both of you stuck with it!

• January 21, 2014 at 10:14 am

oh it was definitely a challenge! luckily it only lasted about five months…

14. January 20, 2014 at 3:04 pm

That’s a crazy huge amount in not a lot of time. Bragging rights! We are okay in terms of debt, but I’m always looking to get in a better financial position (especially now that I’m only working part time, that’s more free time to devote to making more moolah). I’ve referred back to your blog multiple times. Thanks for all the tips!

15. January 20, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Congratulations! I love how this post points out that you are not an overnight success. 45 months is not an insignificant amount of time spent.

16. January 20, 2014 at 9:12 am

You guys made some big sacrifices and look how it paid off! That goes to show you if you want something bad enough you’ll do it! Congrats!

17. January 20, 2014 at 8:56 am

Whooo! You’re a huge inspiration Erika. I’m working on making as much money as I can in 2014 so I can pay off a huge chunk (ideally 20k in PRINCIPAL payments)..it’s going to be tough but I really hope I can make it happen!

18. January 20, 2014 at 5:57 am

That is nice, paying off about a thousand dollars of debt a month is a pretty nice accomplishment, add those situations that you were in to, then that made it a great achievement for both of you.